Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Dark Dad Rises


The climactic segment of “The Blues Brothers” begins with a blistering attack on our heroes by…Princess Leia.   John Belushi, playing Jake Blues, begs for their lives by claiming that he didn’t mean to spurn her highnessness when he did not show up for their wedding.  Apparently the princess took exception to his absence and pursued him with bombs, guns and a flamethrower.  Unfortunately, brother Elwood Blues got wrapped up in this vengeance as well.


“Honest, I ran out of gas.  I had a flat tire.  I didn’t have enough money for cab fair.  My tux didn’t come back from the cleaners.  An old friend came in from out of town.  Someone stole my car.  There was an earthquake.  A terrible flood.  Locusts.  It wasn’t my fault I swear to Go-oooo-d!”

The princess understood and put down her weaponry, welcoming the scruffy blues man back into her life.  I can only hope the small but devoted When Dad Cooks audience is as forgiving.  Or you at least do not have a flamethrower.

Like Jake, I have no good excuse.  When Dad Cooks returns in full flour next week.  Look for regular Weird Wednesday and Food, Family, Friday postings as well as others.

And I promise not to drop you in a culvert and drive 106 miles to Chicago with a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes in the dark while wearing sunglasses if you promise not to send a death star after me.

No comments:

Post a Comment